How to form a NonProfit Organization in the United States
- Incorporate your Business. File articles of incorporation with the State.
- Apply for an Employment Identification Number (EIN) for the Corporation
- Prepare Corporate Bylaws
- Name at least three corporate directors
- Hold a Meeting of the Board of Directors
- Draft a Conflict of Interest Policy
- Apply for Nonprofit status by filling out IRS Form 1023 (there is an IRS filing fee ranging from $350 to $700 depending on the company’s estimated financials).
- Communication with the IRS regarding said application.
- Register your nonprofit status with the state of Florida; register the nonprofit with any other state where you intend to conduct fundraising activities in order to comply with fundraising regulations.
- Begin fundraising
The whole process to get approval from the IRS takes between 3-6 months, sometimes longer, depending on the IRS case load. You can go ahead and prepare the nonprofit and get things started, market, etc., but you can’t begin fundraising until approval by the IRS and subsequent registration with the State.
If you have any additional questions or wish to create a nonprofit organization in Florida, please feel free to contact us at your convenience, at (305) 814-8299 or via email.